Middle East Monitor (MEMO) is pleased to announce the books shortlisted for its 2022 Palestine Book Awards. This prestigious event, now in its eleventh year, honours and celebrates books in English about Palestine. It, equally, encourages authors and publishers to produce more books on Palestine.
2022 has been another successful year with over 50 books submitted for consideration. The highest record of books put forward for the Awards.
The shortlisted winners selected by the judges have added to the diversity of submissions and genres featuring the Palestinian narrative.
Judges also reviewed 4 children's books. An exceptional new growing genre in regards to Palestine.
The 2022 shortlisted authors are:
- Ashjan Ajour - Reclaiming Humanity in Palestinian Hunger Strikes
- Erling Lorentzen Sogge - The Palestinian National Movement in Lebanon
- Heba Hayek - Sambac Beneath Unlikely Skies
- Maryam S. Griffin - Vehicles of Decolonization: Public Transit in the Palestinian West Bank (Critical Race, Indigeneity, and Relationality)
- Lara Sheehi, Stephen Sheehi - Psychoanalysis Under Occupation: Practising Resistance in Palestine (Psychoanalytic Political Theory)
Mohammad Sabaaneh* - Power Born of Dreams: My Story is Palestine
- Mosab Abu Toha - Things You May Find Hidden in My Ear: Poems from Gaza
- Saree Makdisi - Tolerance Is a Wasteland: Palestine and the Culture of Denial
Our panel of Judges this year are:
Dr Afaf Jabiri - Senior Lecturer at the University of East London
- Alan Waddams - Former Chairman of Medical Aid for Palestinians
- Haifa Zangana - an Iraqi novelist and author
- Dr Ibrahim Darwish - Journalist with Al-Hiwar TV
- Prof Nur Masalha - Member of the Centre for Palestine Studies, SOAS, University of London
- Subhi Hadidi - Literary critic, political commentator and translator
- Sawad Hussain - An award-winning Arabic-English literary translator
- Victoria Brittain - Former associate foreign editor of the Guardian and author
MEMO offers its heartiest congratulations to the finalists and gratitude to all those who have submitted their work for consideration and to the judges who have had the difficult task of deciding the shortlist and winners.
All queries on books and authors should be directed to [email protected]
*Mohammad Sabaaneh is also a MEMO cartoonist